Friday, June 3, 2011

My up and down days this week.......

So Wednesday really wasn't the greatest of days. It starts with a wake up call from Adrien at 5am. He has a fever of 102.something or another. Not so fun. Mainly because I'm up at 5am. Adrien was actually pretty happy as he usually is. So we go about our morning and I gave him some Tylenol and he started feeling better. So after a little while he goes down for a nap and I try to get a few things done. He wakes up screaming, as usual, but a little worse. I go in and check him and he is burning up. Just a piece of advice to new parents or maybe when you have kids, don't use ear thermometers. Pardon my language but they aren't worth a shit. I feel like I'm violating him when I have to do his temp rectally but I feel like it's the truest temp I can get. So I do that and he is up to 103.4. So I'm thinking to myself ok this is pretty bad. Gave him more Tylenol and called the dr. They said they could get me in later in the day so I just held it together and kept him happy til we got there. Walked in and he was happy as could be. Nurse comes out and gets us and we walk back. Lay him on the little weigh station and he is fine. Get in the room and he is fine. She breaks out her thermometer and sticks it in his armpit and all hell breaks loose. I'm not sure why he didn't like that, but he didn't. So for the next 30 minutes I'm consoling, well trying to, a very unhappy baby. Just so you know it isn't as easy as you think. You can go through many emotions with a screaming baby. Dr comes in and he is still screaming and does a throat swab. A little more crying now. Nurse comes in to prick his finger and as she is squeezing the blood out of my son's finger, I look down at his face. He looks back at me and my heart breaks. He can't see through all the tears in his eyes. He can't breathe through all the snot in his nose. And there is this lady, hurting him worse. This isn't a good feeling. All said and done I leave the office being told he has a little virus and just to ride it out the next couple days. I can't help but think to myself, I just put him through all of this for this guy to tell me he has a small virus and to give him ibuprofen. Damn. Anyways we get home and he is happy to see his mommy. So every night this week he has gotten up in the middle of the night and doesn't want to go back to sleep. During the days he is fine until his fever spikes. These are the times I want to choke myself. He can be happy go lucky one minute and the next screaming. I guess the moral of this post is, sick babies are not fun. At all. Choke yourself bad. So beware. Your time will come when you have to see this. Nothing makes them happy. Nothing. Not daddy, not mommy, not moo moo milk, not water, not spinach puffs, not Elmo, not the bouncy ball, not the basketball, not going outside, not nothing!!! Well, spraying him with the water hose made him a little happier that evening when we got home. And doing it sure did make me feel better.

1 comment: